Oct 10, 2006

After My First Love Moved Away: A Pizza Company Literary Short

The following is a piece of micro-fiction written by Jon:

After my first love moved away, I decided to get a new pair of shoes. She wanted to save the seals, so I got a fine pair of canvas sneakers. Those shoes were full of ideas.
I probably killed 1,000 bugs in my first month of wearing them. But for some reason I didn’t care. Death seemed so trivial at the time.
I had just finished my first wasted year and was a few weeks into the second one. Since I slept half the day I considered my self half dead. At least I still had my dreams.
One night I dreamt I was a door to door pirate. In this dream five of us pirates would knock on doors and threaten people with swords and guns and shit. We didn’t get much money. People who saw us would say “not interested,” and would then slam the door in our faces.
I must have had the dream because she always looked cute in a pirate outfit. Or a cowgirl outfit, but it’s not like that mattered anymore. The truth was that she was gone and I was never going to see her again.
Yesterday I decided to stop designing amusement parks. I was in my favorite coffee shop, pouring sugar into my cup. I pretended to read, but I wasn’t fooling anyone. That’s because alternative newsweeklies always lie.
My second love was there, but I was too nervous to look. Apparently she was drinking a can of guava nectar. Or so I heard. I was desperately seeking someone to tell my decision to.
Someone in the booth behind me was playing a piano. He was playing a nice upbeat number but when I turned around to look no one was there. My attention span was always too short anyways. I could listen to music, but I couldn’t actually “read” it.
On my way out I considered talking to my second love. Not that I had anything to say, but she did live down the block from me. As I approached her I tried not to look but I couldn’t help but listen. Apparently she had an interest in pirates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jon is awsome. He should go back to Buffalo where he can invent cocaine and continue to design amusment parks.



-Doug Geed